Calving under roof is gaining popularity as pastureland becomes more scarce. Whether your child is returning to the farm, you would like to expand, or any other reason – you are not alone. Several producers are doing their research to determine if this is a viable alternative to their current operation.
Calving Facility Advantages
1. Maintain a controlled environment. One of the main advantages to calving under roof is the controlled environment that it offers. Accu-Steel calving barns do this by preventing the outdoor elements from entering the building. Unlike monoslopes, our buildings offer excellent ventilation with our dual eaves and ridge vents that keep the weather from intruding the building all year. Monoslopes have one side that is wide open allowing snow and rain to blow in.
2. Provide optimal cow/calf comfort. Accu-Steel fabric covered calving buildings allow natural light to filter through the fabric cover while eliminating heat exposure. Our buildings will last for years because all of our steel is hot-dip galvanized to prevent corrosion. These factors make Accu-Steel the optimal choice for cow/calf comfort.
3. Manage a healthy herd. A controlled environment is vital for a newborn calf’s health, so, management is the key in these cow/calf facilities. These cows are in close quarters within the barn so prevention is very important to keep disease out of the calving barn. A consistent, dry environment with excellent ventilation will help keep your cow/calf operation free of illness. It can also help increase weight gain and improve performance.Prevention is very important for herd health, but if health issues do arise, they can be quickly and easily addressed under a calving facility. Choosing this system allows producers to routinely monitor their cows and calves in one location which will save you time checking the pasture and fence. With excellent management you will see your production and profits increase.
4. Determine your own calving seasons. Another benefit to calving under roof is the ability to determine your calving seasons. With the help from the controlled environment you can decide when you would like to calve. Producers who chose to calve under roof have the advantage of shifting their calving season to capitalize on sale prices. This is an opportunity for cattlemen to take their products to market while others are using the traditional cow/calf system on pasture.
Getting Started With Calving Under Roof
When deciding on a floor plan for your calving facility, be sure to separate excepting cows and new mothers. Also, consider using creep feeders and a versatile feed program that can help you target your cows and calves.
At Accu-Steel we try to make it easy for you to get started calving under roof. We understand the cattle industry and strive to offer the very best solutions. Our nationwide network of dealers can help you with any questions you may have. The best place to start is by simply contacting us! After we get your information, we contact the dealer in your area that best suits your needs. You can then coordinate with our dealer to configure the layout of your cow/calf facility. They will consider all of your business needs during the design and construction process to provide you with the perfect cow/calf facility for your calving operation.
To view images of our cow/calf facilities, click here.
When it comes to building a cattle barn, people in the cattle industry are looking for an innovative design that will provide a healthy environment for their herd, bringing optimum cattle comfort which ultimately produces the most profits.
If you are looking for the best cattle barn layout or design for your livestock, Accu-Steel has the answer for you. We have three professionally designed cattle building profiles to choose from, each created by knowledgeable experts that know the cattle industry and understand your needs.
Engineered with your productivity and profits in mind, our cattle buildings are the perfect choice for all types of operations: beef cattle housing, cow calf operations, cattle feeding barns, dairy cow facilities, and more. By reducing animal stress and manure management costs, our cattle barns are designed to put more money in your pocket.
Why You Need a Fabric Hoop Building for Your Cattle Operation
Accu-Steel specializes in fabric hoop buildings for cattle operations all over the country. As an industry expert, we understand the needs of your cattle and have engineered our buildings to provide optimal cattle comfort. Here are the benefits included with our fabric covered cattle barns:
- Corrosion Resistant – We hot-dip galvanize all of our steel post-fabrication to protect your building from corrosion.
- Expansion Options – Traditional monoslope buildings limit space for your cattle. Our fabric covered hoop buildings have high arch ceilings and can easily be expanded to accommodate your growing herd.
- Natural Light – Fabric covered buildings offer incredible amounts of natural light, creating a healthy environment for your herd while still protecting them from harsh climates.
- Constant Ventilation – The most important thing when it comes to cattle housing is providing an environment with healthy, fresh air for your cattle. With ridge vents and eaves, our cattle buildings provide constant fresh air movement even when conditions are not windy.
- Weather Resistant – Our fabric buildings are built to withstand harsh weather conditions, including intense wind, snow, and rainfall.
- EnduroLoc™ Fabric Cover – We use the highest quality fabric cover on the market, backed with a 20 year warranty: the best you’ll find in the industry.
- Dry & Consistent Environment – Our cattle buildings provide a consistent environment for your cattle, keeping them cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter. Traditional steel buildings for cattle create condensation that drips onto the cattle, their feed, and their bedding. Our fabric buildings resist moisture and our dual eaves keep your cattle safe from rain.
The Crossover, Cattle Advantage, and Cattle Integrity Series are our most fitting styles for cattle housing. All of the building designs have ridge vents and eaves.
The Crossover Series
The Crossover Series is one of our most popular designs since it is the most reminiscent of the cattle barns we are all most familiar with. These covered buildings can be customized to any shape or size to suit your needs.
The clear span space allows for large capacity and maximum usability, with no inner beams to obstruct space.
Depending on the layout you choose, you could have a drive alley to make feeding and bedding easier under the comfort of the roof. Another layout option is to have your feed bunk and drive alley on the outside of the cattle housing. If you choose the Crossover design for your cattle barn, consider adding eaves to keep the weather out for optimal cattle comfort.
The Cattle Advantage Series
This is the most common design for Accu-Steel beef cattle barns. The Cattle Advantage Series is designed specifically for your cattle feeding facility needs.
The Cattle Advantage buildings create a dry environment with excellent air quality for beef cattle. With ridge ventilation and dual eves, this cattle building evacuates moisture without creating a wind chill, keeping cattle clean, dry, and healthy. Your herd will stay cooler in the summer and dry all year round.
The Cattle Integrity Series
This is our latest and greatest design! Several producers are intrigued by this design mostly because of its ascetics. It has similar features and versatility when compared to the Cattle Advantage Series but has a subtle peak in the center which brings to mind the Crossover Series.
With the ridge vents and dual eaves the Cattle Integrity Series will also keep your cattle comfortable all year.
Why Choose Accu-Steel for Cattle Housing & Facilities?
All of Accu-Steel’s buildings are designed with your operation in mind. We are here to help you plan a layout for your building but, at the end of the day, it is YOUR beef cattle barn and you need to choose a layout that works best for you! Just keep in mind, do your research and don’t let your profits suffer by choosing a traditional hoop building, cattle barn, or monoslope building. We strive to provide you with the most fitting solution and continuously look for ways to advance.